Sunday, January 20, 2019

A Living Hell on Earth

The past several years, I shut down as an empath. I abruptly abandoned my role and support as a spiritual coach and teacher to several like-minded individuals I worked with in Evansville. The sudden disowning of my spiritual path was difficult for those who knew me, as well as for myself.  I experienced an inner-conflict about who I was, who I was expected to be, and what I wanted in my life. At the time, I was moving through some major transitions.  I chose to chase the “normal” life: a regular job, being a daughter that my father would approve of, and finding the love of my life.


Ugh, was THAT a human experience!! 

I worked main stream jobs, one of three that I found fulfilling. I was honored to support my father through the sale of our childhood home and his eventual moves into my home, then an assisted care facility. I have witnessed and supported him through the deterioration of his Lewy Body Dementia, taking over (with help from my brother and his wife) his personal and financial affairs. I had a three-year relationship with a man I believed to be the love of my life. During this time, I enjoyed ups and downs, good and bad moments, fond and sad memories along the way. But the last three years were the most intense and most miserable.  It’s as if the Universe was giving me a major WHACK up side my head to shake me out of the rut I settled into with contentment.  I ended my three-year relationship, two years too late, after much angst and inner strife. I started a new job in one of the most toxic environment I’ve ever encountered . While I held my own for the first year, by my second year in, I fell victim to the lower vibrations.  I began mirroring the energy within which I worked, becoming a person I no longer recognized or knew. This happened because I lost sight of my vulnerabilities of being an empath. I abandon spiritual practices, my self care needs, thus becoming energetically and emotionally vulnerable.  I began experiencing significant bouts of anxiety, depression and stress.

During my second year evaluation, I received feedback about how I’d been showing up with my coworkers - and it wasn't pretty or easy to hear. Blindsided and mortified of what I was reflecting, I suffered a panic attack in that meeting. I was oblivious to how I’d been showing up, and the review offered me greater insight that I wasn’t managing my stress well, and it was impacting others and how I showed up with them.  I diligently worked to repair estranged relationships. I held myself accountable to the entire group, and individually, apologizing for my poor management of stress, behavior and treatment to those I'd been unkind towards. I consciously shifted up my own energy and attitude in the workplace, setting positive intentions each morning. But by this point, I was in a losing battle. Unforgiving coworkers were still unhappy with one thing or another.  I experienced physical health challenges under the added stress. Shingles, digestive issues, back issues and numbness in my right and eventually my left hand. I was grinding my teeth when I did sleep, cracking a tooth and living with excruciating jaw pain for a several months.  I uncharacteristically caught the viruses that go around every winter, for which steroids and antibiotics weren’t working. Mentally, I was still suffering from bouts of severe anxiety when dealing with administration and daily issues, which led to an increase in my medication and a new prescription just so I could manage my day. I experienced bouts of depression and even panic attacks. Emotionally, I was moody, weepy and took everything personally. Even a kind word broke me into tears because I felt so unworthy of them because I was being criticized at every turn for how I was doing my job. 


The stress and pressure of fifty- and sixty-hour work weeks to meet deadlines, the chronic daily adrenaline rush from managing several fires at once, coworker/client crises, complaints, bad attitudes, melodramas, whining, and unreasonable demands; I felt defeated at every level of my being. I was expected to be everything to everyone: a mother, fireman, compliance enforcer, counselor, punching bag, dumping ground; you name it, I was it. I gave so much of myself that I had nothing left for me at the end of the day or week. I drank more wine, beer and sangrias, and ate more to cope/numb/protect the overwhelming negative energy I experienced.  I felt betrayed by coworkers and those who were supposedly there to to administratively support me. 
Add to (what my friend aptly calls it) “the shit show”, my worries and concerns for my father’s declining health increased as my brother and I scrambled to meet and support his needs.  All of this on top of the profound grief I was experiencing over the end of a three-year dating relationship, and coping with the foolishness I felt realizing it was nothing but a means for passing time. Additional work pressure of meeting performance improvement requirements to make terminally unhappy coworkers happier; constantly feeling second- guessed and scrutinized, and ultimately a target, didn’t help. Nothing I did was good enough for anyone at any level. I felt alone and knocked down at every turn. I owned my mistakes but was always on the wrong side of right.  I was one step short of a nervous and emotional breakdown, fighting to keep it together while pleasing everyone, despite that nothing I did or said pleased anyone anyway.

No wonder I felt lost!  I didn’t know who I was anymore or what I was supposed to be doing since nothing I was doing was right by anyone’s standards. I started looking for other work, all over the country; and even though I had a couple of offers,  I didn’t want to abandon my coworkers or my commitments. More shit beyond my control hit the fan in the fall, and the roller coaster ride I was on was heading into a crash and burn. Despite the hellacious experience, I bent over backwards to make everything right.  I now realize that my desire to please others and make others feel better was self-punitive and self-abusive, and the cost I paid was expensive. The Universe pushed me as far as I could go in this experience, and while I had a resignation letter ready to turn in,  I'm not sure I wouldn't have turned it in, but instead, continued even further through the misery because I’m not a quitter.

But then God granted me a gift, a blessing in disguise: an emergency exit door out of hell!

No comments: